12.15.2008

Moon - Very, very close to us

Full Moon As you might know by now, on December 12, 2008, the moon's orbit around our planet came the closest it has been in the last 15 years. I would love to say that this is that very same moon. Unfortunately it isn't. On the actual 12th I was busy setting up the telescope and making good use of it by aiming it out of my fourth floor window and observing the moon. Having another building directly across the street puts limits on our window of time to get a good clear look. Luckily it was a very clear night and every crack and crater on the moon was clearly visible.

The following day was just as clear, and to my eye, the moon seemed to be just as close as the night before. We set up the telescope again and got a few looks at the moon. I however was on a different mission. I wanted to photograph the moon. I pull out my D200 and slap on a long lens and... and... no tripod (It is still at my old place). I was not going to let that small oversight stop me from getting my shot. I just braced myself on the window frame and used the burst shot technique. This image is by no means the perfect shot, but I thought it was good enough to share.

Hope you enjoy!