12.14.2008

Playstation Home - Revisited

I have had a chance to explore the Playstation Home environment for a few days now. Is it the most amazing thing ever? No. But I can definitely say that it has a ton of potential and will eventually be second nature for users to launch Home every time they power up their Playstation 3's.

The three dimensional avatars are physically very modifiable. Every feature in a person's face can be adjusted. It was fun creating an online digital version of me. The clothing options are as of now limited, but I was able to find something that was me. The catch however is that you can buy new clothes at the Mall.

Yes there is a mall, but I did not find a 'Food Court', perhaps in a future update there can be one.

There is also a 'Movie theater' which right now is showing a trailer of 'Twilight'. Eventually there will be 10 screens to choose from. Once again, I would like to have the option to buy popcorn to throw at other movie goers who are standing and talking during the show.

The bowling alley is also worth a visit. Unfortunately every time I try to bowl there are no free lanes. But I was able to get in a few games of pool. Once I got used to the controls it was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to challenging my friends to a few rounds. No bowling alley would be complete without a few arcade games, and they the Home bowling alley is no exception. The mini version of 'Echochrome' is my #1 pick.

Home has even included an apartment for your avatar. This as well is fully customizable. I have my own real life apartment to finish settling into, so I do not have time to settle into a virtual one. I did change the wallpaper and move a few tables and chairs around for fun.

The bulk of the action seems to take place in the outdoor main area. Here like everywhere else you can interact and communicate with other users, play mini-games, listen to music, run, walk,sit, dance. Most areas of the virtual world can be accessed though here or via the start button menu.

There are a few more things that can be currently done in Playstation Home but I will leave that for you to explore.

The only 'issue' I can think of is that every time you go to a new area, it must be downloaded. But on future visits, they will be there and no downloads are needed. A minor inconvenience.

Hope this information was helpful. If this review is well received, I will have more product reviews in the future.