10.20.2010

7-Train

Here is a shot I took while waiting to take the 7 Train into the city one day. I made a few more shots that day but they didn't make the cut. I was trying to get a shot of an approaching train, but without vibration reduction on any of my lenses, this proved to be nearly impossible. If you have ever stood on an elevated train station you know that they move a lot. Even before the train got to the station, I knew that I would have a lot of blur, but I still tried to make a usable image. As a low resolution .jpg file at about 600 pixels wide, they look decent. But being that I have the full resolution file to look at, and am highly critical of my own work, I could not show it off here.

What I do have to share with everyone is a scene I see often. The 7 Train line in Queens. Sometimes I am waiting at 4am for the train on my way to work and other times it is 4am on my way home. One of the best parts of waiting for the 7 Train is getting a view of the New York City skyline. On some days you can be witness to some of the most spectacular sunsets. For the most part, the buildings that line Roosevelt Ave. along the 7 line are only a few stories tall, so as the train travels, you can see all the different rooftops. Some have parabolic antennae, others have HVAC units and fans, and most do have graffiti. One thing you can always count on is for the smells of all the restaurants and street carts and trucks to waft into your nose whetting your appetite. Another detail worth mentioning is the close proximity of LaGuardia Airport to the 7 Train line. I was lucky enough to capture an airplane flying out of frame in the image below.

Wake up your senses and take a ride on the 7 Train. Next time you are on your way to Citifield, do yourself a favor and get off the train in Jackson Heights and spend a few moments on the platform and experience the things I have mentioned for yourself. If you have a little time I encourage you to get down to the street and explore the area by foot.

-Enjoy

7-Train-Queens-bw